2017 PAG METER ALL VALLEY ALL STAR SOFTBALL TEAM SPECIAL AWARDS
PAG METERALL VALLEY ALL STAR SOFTBALL TEAM
Here is the recap of the 2017 championship games from Bulldog Diamond
Valley Championship Division 1
Clovis Cougars 2 Central Grizzlies 1
WP Danielle Lung (11 K’s). RBI single by sophomore Grace Henson and then took the lead in the 7th inning on an RBI single by junior Ashley Kincaid.
Monache Marauders 6 Sanger Apaches 1
WP Chloe Rivas. 5 K’s. Marauders finish the year with an 11 game winning streak. Jessenia Castillo went 3 for 4 with a triple, double and two RBI’s. Evette Mendoza, 2 for 4 with a triple.
Independence Falcons 11 Kerman Lions 5
- WP Jessica Munoz and went 4-5, 2 RBI’s. Aariyana Egan 3-5, 2 RBI’s. Nicole Price, 2-5, RBI. Ashley Mick, 2-4, 2 RBI’s. Cindy Sanchez, 3-4. Lydia Vasquez 2 RBI’s.
Selma Bears 2 Mission Oaks 0
WP Hailey Garcia, 2-hitter
Coalinga Horned Toads 5 Rosamond Roadrunners 1
WP Linnay Wilson, CG, 10 K’s and had a 2 run double.
Mendota Aztecs 6 CVC Cavaliers 4
- WP Senior Stephanie Certvantes, 5-hitter. Charline Sandoval, 2 RBI’s.
PAG METER TEAM OF THE YEAR
The Clovis Cougars
The 2017 Valley Champions after they beat Central 2-1. They finished with a 25-6 record and have built the best softball program in the valley. The Cougars have won the Valley Championship in 1991, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2007,2015 and now 2017.
PAG METER PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Danielle Lung, junior, Clovis Cougars
She has now won 2 valley championships (2015) and the Cougars will be the favorites in 2018. The All-American went 24-4 with an ERA of 1.04 In 184 innings, she struck out 263 batters and tossed 10 shutouts. Lung, who has committed to Fresno State is 67-9 with 26 shutouts and 675 K’s in her 3 year career.
PAG METER CO-PITCHERS OF THE YEAR
Gianna Mancha, senior, Central Grizzlies
The best to ever play at Central and the next stop will be Boise State. Gianna went 17-4 with a 0.73 ERA, 154 innings and 234 strikeouts. She also was outstanding at the plate hitting .478, 11 doubles, 4 triples, 2 home runs and 22 RBI’s. Gianna did something that might not happen again for a while when G help beat Clovis West 5-0 and struck out all 21 batters. WOW!
Linnay Wilson, senior, Coalinga Horned Toads
- Was the winning pitcher for the division 5 section champion Horned Toads striking out 10. She went 21-4 with a ERA of 0.83. 143 innings pitched with 226 K’s. At the plate she hit .589, with 14 doubles, 1 triple, 7 home runs and 46 RBI’s. Next stop will be Loyola Marymount and they are getting a good one on the field and in the classroom!
PAG METER CO-OFFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE YEAR
Halle Harger, senior, Hanford West Huskies
Halle can flat out swing it and her next stop will be Boise State. Batted .506 with 5 home runs and 13 doubles. Led the Huskies to a 93-30-1 record during her career. In her career, in 121 games she averaged .401 with 146 hits, 115 runs scored, 66 RBIs, 31 doubles, 4 triples and 5 home runs. She was also a perfect 34-for-34 on stolen base attempts.
Kayla Bowen, junior, Edison Tigers
- Will be up for Pag Meter Player of the year in 2018. Hit .562, 9 home runs, 1 triple, 10 doubles, 12-12 in stolen bases and led the valley with 60 RBI’s. Kayla has verbally committed to play for Southern University in Louisiana and is the cousin to former Edison Tigers and San Antonio Spurs great Bruce Bowen.
PAG METER UNDERCLASSMEN OF THE YEAR
Sydney Hornbuckle, freshman, Stockdale Mustangs
- A star was born at Stockdale with Hornbuckle!
The SWYL newcomer of the year went 20-2, helping the Mustangs to as high as No. 6 in the state by Cal-Hi Sports. Her 0.75 ERA was 4th-best in the section, and she also batted .386. The Mustangs are set at pitching the next 3 years.
PAG METER COACH OF THE YEAR
Mike Noel, Clovis Cougars
Coach Mike now has 610 wins and has won the valley in 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2015 and now 2017. Mike has built the Clovis Cougars as the top softball program in the valley. Mike was also named the Cal-Hi Softball coach of the year.